Maternal Child Health services provide care for our newest community members.
For many, having a baby can be an exciting, yet stressful time. The Maternal Child Health(MCH) program at Bennington Area VNA & Hospice and Rutland Area VNA & Hospice provides pregnant women with primary and preventative services, and goes on to help postpartum women and their newborns make the transition from hospital to home.
MCH services include:
- Health information about pregnancy, labor and delivery.
- Social services including links to other human service agencies to assist with housing, food, healthcare, childcare, counseling and employment services.
- Assistance in managing prenatal health problems (including diabetes, asthma, cancer and infections).
- Wound care for women after Cesarean section.
- Maternal and newborn assessments.
- Medical support for premature infants or infants with special health needs.
- Injections to help prevent respiratory infections in children.
- Assistance with breastfeeding and other feeding difficulties.
- Education regarding preventative healthcare, childhood illnesses, child safety including car restraints, postpartum depression, family planning and other parental concerns.
“The early care and guidance given to moms and their babies have proven to reduce long-term medical and environmental risks. RAVNAH and BAVNAH receive referrals from hospitals, physicians and Vermont Department of Health. In addition to prenatal counseling, each family referred to us receives a call from an MCH nurse within 24 hours of hospital discharge.
MCH nurses look at the whole picture: What’s the housing like for the family, their economic status, what other services are out there to help the family? Is the child safe? Is mom experiencing post-partum depression? Are doctors’ check-ups and vaccinations being followed up on? Is food or fuel an issue? The MCH program is there as a complete resource for moms and their babies.
Sometimes a family receives a visit once or twice to ensure they have a good support system – other times we may follow a family for many years. The care and services provided are 100% customized to the needs of the family.”
For more information about the MCH program, call toll free at 1-800-244-0568.